- Penitentiary Gates on State Street are erected. One of the few remaining original structures, they were placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1971.
- The Salem Water Company pump station makes a considerable improvement in travel convenience: it takes water to third floor of the new Chemeketa House. A hotel existed at this location until the construction of the present Conference Center.
- Susan B. Anthony, then 41, spent several weeks in Oregon this year, and several days in the Salem area drumming up support
for women’s suffrage, which was still almost 50 years
away. She camped out at the Oregon State Fair with local women’s
rights leader Abigail S. Duniway. The two women traveled throughout
the Willamette Valley by stagecoach and even horseback to
campaign for a woman’s right to vote. According to a Sept. 17, 1871, The Oregon Statesman report on Anthony’s speech at the Reed Opera House: "People
may have expected that a champion of the new movement would
be something of a scold, but the tones in which she did her
scolding - - for she scold all of mankind at a terrible rate
- - were decorous and womanly, so much so that the effect
of her lectures was greatly enhanced by the admirable manner
and apparent good taste of their delivery." "...We believe that when the first effect of her appearance
wears away, the women of Oregon will realize that while she
told many truths and told them well, she treated their own
husbands and fathers unfairly."
- SC Adams publishes a 23-foot scroll entitled "Chronological Chart of Ancient, Modern and Biblical History." Revised editions of this complete history of the world (from Adam and Eve to President Ulysses Grant) went through several successful printings and this production was a forerunner of illustrated educational materials for American middle class families. Mr. Adams traveled the country for 6 years, promoting its sale, very much in the style of modern authors with their book tours, and was very successful. The later entries for him in the City Directory described his occupation as "Capitalist". The State Library exhibited a copy in 2007-08.
- The home of Sebastian Adams at 547 Court Street was still standing in 1954. Other fashionable Victorian homes along Court Street included those of Eugene Breyman at Church Street, Mrs. J.J. Murphy (later home of George Rose and C. P. Bishop families) next door and Joseph Holman residence at the Cottage Street intersection. They were demolished between 1950 and 1970.
|This photograph of the Baptist Church was taken in 1891|
- Membership of the First Baptist Church in 1871 was reported to be around 100, with 123 Sunday school attendees. During this year an imposing belfry (seen above), which amplified the bell calling people to services, weddings, and funerals, was added to the structure. A fence protected the property from cows that roamed Salem’s streets.
- A house is built by and for Gustave Norgren, a carpenter. The 1872 Salem City Directory lists his residence at the corner of Sangamon (now Saginaw) and Owen, and an etched nail imprint on the brick fireplace is dated 1871. In 1869 Norgren purchased this lot from Anna B. and J.W. Gamble. Mr. Norgren died shortly after 1875 and his widow moved from the area. Mr. Cannon, a farmer from Turner, sold the property in 1905; following this the property changed hands many times until the present. It is a designated Local Landmark in the SCAN neighborhood.