- Chili's unstable, but democratically-elected, government of Pres. Allende, is overthrown by military forces of Gen. Pinochet, backed by U.S.
- The Nobel Peace Prize is shared by Henry Kissinger (US) and Le Durc Tho (Vietnam) for the 1973 Paris agreement that brought about the cease-fire in Vietnam and the withdrawal of American forces.
- After the Yom Kippur War, the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries embargo oil to nations that had supported Israel, prices rise in a U.S. energy crisis.
- Vice President Agnew resigns due to income tax evasion; Gerald Ford, Speaker of the House of Representatives, takes office.
- Secret White House tapes are revealed during the Watergate Congressional investigation. Nixon orders Attorney General to fire Special Prosecutor Cox. When he refuses, a string of Justice Department firings was named "Saturday Night Massacre".
- Members of the American Indian Movement occupy the town of Wounded Knee for 71 days, but are overwhelmed by 1200 arrests.
- In Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court overturns U.S. ban on abortion.
- Academy Awards:"The Sting" (US), "Day for Night" (France). Prize-winning Books: The Optimist's Daughter, Eudora Welty and Augustus, John Edward Williams.
|Historic Deepwood Estate|
|Willamette Heritage Center|
Salem appears on the US Department of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places for the first time with four historic properties at two sites: the 1894 Deepwood Estate, owned by the city, and the 1895 Thomas Kay Woolen Mill (Now Willamette Heritage Center), a privately administered facility. The mill property includes two other historic building this year: the 1841 Jason Lee House and the Methodist Parsonage. These are the first Methodist mission residential structures of Salem. Two other buildings, also moved to the Mission Mill Museum property, will be successfully nominated in the coming years: the 1846 Boon House (in 1975), an early private residence and 1858 Pleasant Grove Presbyterian Church (in 1987). The historic church was originally located 12 miles southeast of Salem near West Stayton.
David Duniway leads these first local efforts for historical preservation. The Oregon State Archives gives his introduction: "From day he arrived in Salem in 1946, David Duniway gave a great deal of his time and energy to the local historical community. His retirement as State Archivist in 1972 only served to increase his focus on his other projects that have become the cornerstones of the local historical community. Duniway helped to organize and became the first director of the Mission Mill Museum Association. He retired as director of the Mission Mill in 1976 to spend more time writing books about Salem history. Duniway was founder of the Marion County Historical Society and the Salem City Club and served as a member of Salem's sesquicentennial committee. His personal connection to Oregon history was strengthened by the fact that he was grandson of famous pioneer and equal rights champion, Abigail Scott Duniway."
When you visitHistoric Deepwood Estate is open for tours and many events during each year. More information may found on their website. Of special interest are the 5 acres of gardens partially designed by the Lord and Schryver landscape architects and maintained by that Conservancy. The historic Deepwood carriage house has recently been restored and will be used for exhibitions and other services.
The Mission Mill Museum and the Marion County Historical Society, on the same property, have become united in 2010 as the Willamette Heritage Center. Mission Mill Museum will continue to be the site for administration, exhibitions, cafe and the rented retail/office space. The former Marion County Historical Society facility serves as the archive, library and information technology center. The website gives information about exhibits and hours of operation.
Other events• Robert E. Lindsey, a dentist by profession, becomes mayor as the city administration adapts to the new Civic Center.
• In May, Grant Park, adjacent to the Grant Elementary School is opened. Stuart Compton, Administrator of the Aldrich Trust, suggests this second use of trust funds and the project was accepted by the City Council. The four acre park has play equipment for children, a ball field and picnic tables. Both students and neighbors use this attractive neighborhood amenity.
• Buildings on a High Street site, between Chemeketa and Center, are emptied in preparation for a new six-floor office building, the Equitable Center.
• The Senator Hotel Building, on High and Court Street intersection, is sold to the state as an office building.
|Mill Race Plaza building under construction|
• In November, Shelton Ditch floods Bellevue Street and buildings along its shoreline.
• At Oregon State Hospital, Griffith Hall, a three-story structure named for a prominent local pioneer family, is demolished for new construction. The 1895 Colonial Revival home of John C. and Kate Dalrymple Griffith is located at 1467 Court Street in the Court-Chemeketa Historic Residential District.
• On Winter Street, a new wing of the Salem Memorial Hospital is erected. The massive, contemporary design stands at right angle to the former facility and indicates the architectural style of future construction and expansion.
|This industrial site became Riverfront Park|
• Further to the north on Front Street, the United States Products Corporation continues as a cannery operation that will last under that ownership for two more years. New warehouses are built on the east side of Front Street.
• Four neighborhoods organized into associations this year: NESCA (Northeast Salem Community Association), South Gateway, SCAN (South Central Association of Neighbors) and Lansing. Each neighborhood has a Neighborhood Services Specialist and staff liaison from the city assigned to assist them with communications, obtaining information, and better organizing. Of these, SCAN has the greatest number of historical properties as it includes both Deepwood Estate and Gaiety Hill/Bush Pasture Park. Descriptions of 50 other significant historic sites in SCAN are found here. South Gateway, a relatively new neighborhood within the city, is historically represented by one property, the relocated Waln residence at 5363 Tanoak Avenue. NESCA is only now being researched, but already identified are the Dairy Farm at 992 Park Avenue, the relocated Heffley House at 2365 Ellis Street, the Vinyard/Bilyeu House at 3183 Center Street and three relocated houses on D Street. All can be seen here. In Lansing, residences at 2285 and 2475 Lansing Avenue and 1985 and 2115 Park Avenue have interesting histories.