For those who cherish an English ambiance, the Tudor Rose, opened his year, was the perfect getaway for a British-style lunch or a cup of tea in the afternoon. A shop inside the entrance welcomed diners with gift selections one would find in a English village of the 1980s and the decor of the dining room matched that atmosphere with old-fashioned wallpaper, lace curtains, and table settings that include a tea-cozy for the pot. Located above the south side of Pringle Creek among the trees, diners could imagine themselves in a peaceful rural setting. Alas, to the regret of loyal customers of almost twenty years, it closed in 2007. Below, a photograph taken just before demolition.
When you visit
Waterplace now occupies the site of the former Tudor Rose. This property includes land that was previously used for a motel and is directly across Liberty Street from the Civic Center. In the planning stage, a taller building was proposed, but residents in the adjoining SCAN neighborhood objected, for environmental reasons, during the City's Design Review process and the building was scaled back to its present height. During construction, its promotion hailed, "Innovative architecture and environmental stewardship blend together in a new mixed-use office and retail development that redefines how we work." The building is positioned to take advantage of the natural beauty along Pringle Creek. Completed in April of 2010, it houses offices and a restaurant, following the precedent of the Tudor Rose and the earlier Sambo's. Like these other recently built local structures, its architecture and use has been determined by Salem's community acceptance.
- Mahonia Hall, the former Livesley residence on Lincoln Street, becomes the official residence of Oregon's governor. Purchased by private donations, it is maintained by the state. The governor and his wife occasionally open the house for guests invited for worthwhile community events and tours of the first floor are conducted periodically. The original owner, Thomas A. Livesley, mayor of Salem from 1927 to 1931, was known as the "Hop King of Oregon" He served in the legislature as Marion County State Representative from 1937-39. He built and owned the First National Bank Building in 1926-27. After his death the building was called the “Livesley Building” and more recently the "Capitol Tower or Center". Another noted structure he left the community is this Tudor style family home on Lincoln Street in the Fairmont Hill district. He died in 1947 at the age of 84.
- Sylvia Dorney, continues the evolution of her family's three-generation Salem business enterprise renaming it as Greenbaum’s Quilted Forest. The business started as a dry good’s store, Greenbaum’s Dept. Store, in 1900; became a fabric store; Greenbaum’s Fine Fabrics, in 1946; and finally in this year as shop offering creative quilting ideas, supplies and instructions. The shop is in the last remaining section of a beautiful historic structure that was built in 1889, and is located at 240 Commercial Street in the heart of the downtown historic district.
- On Mill Street, dramatic changes are occurring in the block that has been industrial. On the south, the Del Monte cannery is closed and enclosed by a fence with two rows of barbed wire at the top. (This will become the campus of Tokyo International University.) To the north, on the property that had been the Thomas Kay Woolen Mill, the Mission Mill Museum association has begun renovating the Card Room and Spinning Room on the second floor of the mill building and adjacent Dye House.
- Sue Harris Miller completes her third term as mayor of Salem and Thomas Neilsen is elected.
- The Salem Area Mass Transit District consolidates its administration, operations and maintenance activities on an 8.4-acre facility acquired and constructed with a combination of local, state and federal funds. In the next April, U.S. Senator Mark Hatfield and Governor Neil Goldschmidt officiated at the open house. In 2001, a permanent transfer station and administrative office, Courthouse Square, was built on the site. At the present time, July 2012, structural faults in the parking bus parking area caused the transit center to be moved to a temporary location on nearby city streets. The building itself has been evacuated for inspection of possible construction faults and consultants are evaluating choices between demolition and extensive repair.
- Mano a Mano, a nonprofit agency, opened in Salem this year, providing English classes and social services for Salem's Latino community. Today the vision of Mano e Mano is that Latinos and low-income people of our community will enjoy a quality of life and attain a standard of living comparable to other Oregonians. The Family Center is now located in the James Ramsey III House, 1460 Capitol Street NE.
- The Smothers Brothers, a TV popular comedy act comes the Salem for a performance at the Oregon State Fair.
- This year the Salem Outreach Shelter began providing housing for homeless men. Because so many families needed shelter, the focus transitioned to programs for them. Up to 15 families reside at the shelter at one time for an average of four to six months. During this time families must strive for a successful future with permanent housing, stable income, and a resource base to obtain long-term stability. In 2001 the shelter merged with the YWCA of Salem. In 2007 it moved to accommodate more families. The goal of the shelter is to assist families in accomplishing their dream of returning to a sustainable living situation so they can take their place as contributing members of the community.