SHINE on Salem 150, celebrating the sesquicentennial of our city's 1860 charter, continues (and concludes) with the 2012 entry.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Moving Salem History #2 of 12

The Josiah L. Parrish House was a 1860s two-story wood frame house built out in the country on what became 745 Capitol Street. In this 1978 Bob Koval photograph from the Salem Public Library Oregon Historic Photograph Collections, the tall and narrow sash windows, capped by a wooden cornice, suggest an Italian architecture style that was added later, circa 1910. For the expansion of the North Capitol Mall and the new Oregon Archives Building in 1990, the house was purchased from the state by the City of Salem and moved to its present location at A. C. Gilbert Discovery Village. The workers faced a challenge when the house became temporarily trapped under the Marion Street Bridge.

No comments: