In Spanish Civil War, Guernica is destroyed.
In China, Nanking residents are massacred by Japanese troops.
President Roosevelt signs US Neutrality Act
|Cornerstone Laid for new Capitol Building|
The two nearest the corner at Capitol Street, the Charles Spaulding and Henry Miles homes, will remain in place for another dozen years. The first four marble state buildings of the North Capitol Mall were constructed at the cost of losing "Piety Hill", a distinguished residential section of Salem. It took twenty years to accomplish the state's first segment, to Center Street.
When you visit
North Capitol Mall continued its march north for over half a century, adding new buildings as residences were demolished, until the North Capitol Mall Heritage Park spans Mill Creek as seen in the charts here. The area effected begins at Court Street, in front of the Capitol Building, and extends north to "D" Street. It is bordered on the west by Capital Street, on the east by Winter Street adding new buildings including the Employment Building, the Agriculture Building, the Veterans Building, the State Archives and, finally, the North Capitol Mall Office Building as residences were demolished, until the North Capitol Mall Heritage Park now spans Mill Creek. The area effected begins at Court Street, in front of the Capitol Building, and extends north to "D" Street. It is bordered on the west by Capital Street, on the east by Winter Street. The Revenue and Barbara Robert Human Services Buildings are to the east of Capitol Street.
A small Jewish community begins meeting in private homes, then as the congregation grows, moves into temporary quarters downtown at Chemeketa and Commercial. Services were held three flights up, around an old wood stove, with about 20 to 30 people attending. • The Skiff/Montgomery Building is completed on Liberty Street downtown. A photograph of the year before, shows the before the new construction and another two years later shows the street much as it appears today. In 1867, L. S. and Mary Gardiner Skiff had built a residence here, set back from the street. In 1885, Dr. Skiff built a brick building in front of their home to house his dental office. Their son, Mark Skiff, had a dental office there 1905-1917. This building is featured on the SHINE Historic Downtown Walking Tour.
|After the snow storm, Liberty Street|
• In October the new Federal Building is completed on the Church Street site of the old Post Office. Postmaster General James A. Farley comes to Salem to dedicate the structure and 2000 residents turn out in the rain to watch the ceremony. In 1978 a new Post office was built on 25th Street. Purchased by the State of Oregon, this became the Executive Building.
• Blue Lake Producers Cooperative begins as a restructuring of another West Salem cannery.
|Francis and Bernice Smith House|